I'm a little late on my post, I know. But my kiln broke about a month ago, and Monday night I present to my PTO in hopes that they can get me a new/used one for next year. I'm freaking out a little, I get really nervous talking to parents and large group of grown ups. All yesterday I was preparing. Any advice?
Teaching as if Life Matters Chapter 3
I did like this chapter but it does makes me feel bad. When a student brings me art I ask a million questions, how did they get that idea, what materials did they use... But I started think of this one student she always wants to share stories or show me something and I usually say "that's nice". She is a little strange and she sometime makes me uncomfortable but at the same time I want her to come to me and share. How do I draw the line of too much sharing. The author talked about a student who brings in a rock and they spend an hour investigating the rock, but what happens the next day when every student in the class bring in something? Where do you draw the line?
Phrasing the right questions is not as easy as I thought. I have been practicing with my daughter and some how I keep answering my own questions.
I have two 7th grade classes, one class I see 2x a week and the other 3x a week. Yes I know very stupid schedule! But 7B (3x a week) is always ahead of the other class. Their next project is "redesigning our school". I hope to have them problem solve our landscaping outside our building and redesign it. Questions- What is design? What is good vs bad design? What do you like/dislike about our school? How often you spend time outside at school? Why would we want to redesign any space? How could changing and redesigning our landscape outside our school beneficent you/everyone?
I also what to ask how we can include the other 7th grade class when they are working on a another project and have art at a different time?
I am not sure if this project will work out, but I'm going to try it anyway.
Amy I do have a question. I found this to be somewhat of a problem for me in other MU Art Ed classes too. Why do we have 3 different websites for this class? Blackboard mostly only for grades, Lore for getting lesson and other info, and Blogger for replying to lessons and reading others replies? Wouldn't it be easier if we had a program like blackboard through the school but was more like lore and blogger all in one? I have trouble looking at so many different websites for one class.
Hi Adair. If only there was the perfect platform for online! I suspect it's coming down the road. Like you, managing all these sites and various emails etc can sometimes feel cumbersome. Its good feedback for me and I will consider a different option in the future. I selected LORE and Blogger because they were user friendly and offered formats that BB did have. BB is Mizzou's platform for grades. Ive been paying attention to other instructors who are using weebly and it may be a step in the right direction. If you read Katie's blog, I partially address this same question.
ReplyDeleteI am truly sorry its a lot to track. I appreciate everyone's honesty. I also selected this method because they are familiar to me. This being the first run of this class, I wanted to keep the "unknowns" non technologically challenging and leave the unknowns to the content of the class. Does that make sense?
Its interesting, many of you have brought up the rock example from this weeks reading. Im going to share my version and interpretation of this sort of event. Funnily enough, I have a very odd little guy who is routinely disruptive and brings things in with him ALL the time. He is incredibly intelligent for a third grader and does NOT perceive the world the way most people do. Odd things get his attention. I noticed, in my redirecting him to "fit" with the flow of the class, he experienced hurt feelings, thus making him even more disruptive. One day, he came in with a rock and at the start of class, came running in with it, eyes alight with excitement. I had a moment where I was worried but caught myself. I stopped what I was doing and knelt down to be on his level (ping Katie) and looked at the rock for about 30seconds. Then I looked up at him and smiled , I shared a short memory of a rock I had found that made me excited too and wasn't it neat we both shared a joy of discovering neat rocks. I suggested he think about what feeling finding that rock gave him and maybe he could channel it into the days discussion and art work. Long and short of it was, he just wanted to be seen, he wanted to know what mattered to him was important. It took 90 seconds to validate it. I think we all need to find our own lines. It can be too much if every child comes with things, and thats when creative questioning can come into play to redirect without shaming.
:)
As Far as talking to parents, just believe in your words, in those cases, you are like the child with the rock, you want to be seen and heard. ;)
Adair,
ReplyDeleteI was struck by the rock example and included it in my response also. My thoughts were in line with yours... I'm not sure I can be so inquisitive about a rock. Fortunately, I teach middle school and the items students bring in are a bit more... rare. I do want to be thoughtful and interested with my students, but I also have to be authentic. This chapter helped me rethink questions, and even the "essential questions" I include in my units of instruction.
Your lesson (which I love!) reminded me of the TED Talks video we viewed week 6 featuring Emily Pilloton and the Bertie County project. Maybe you could show this to your students for inspiration. Are you going to have them complete the landscaping? If so, please post photos!
Adair, I really like this lesson. I think your students will really enjoy putting input and it will give insight into what they enjoy doing in school. I can't wait to hear how it turns out!
ReplyDelete